Putney Bridge is a bridge on the River Thames located in west London. It links Putney on the south side by Fulham to the north.
An Act approved the legal framework for the formation of a bridge of Parliament, which was the Putney and Fulham Bridge Act in the year 1726.
This Bridge was built by local master woodworker Thomas Phillips and design by architect Sir Jacob Acworth. The Bridge was inaugurated on 29 November 1729. In its first guise, from the year 1729 to 1886 this Bridge was slightly down the river to the north side.
According to the many official records it was also known as Fulham Bridge. Putney Bridge was the only Bridge apart from Kingston Bridge and London Bridge at the time. A toll bridge, which had tollbooths at both ends of the timber-built structure.
The Putney bridge has old parish churches alongside its abutments St. Mary’s Church. This close vicinity of two churches by the main river is rare. Another example is at Streatley and Goring On Thames; villages hemmed in by the Goring Gap (Chiltern Hills).
On the south edge of the Bridge, there are Putney Wharf Tower and St. Mary’s Church. It is one of the most significant buildings in Putney. The north side of the Bridge is 120 meters West-South-West of Putney Bridge Underground station.
Parkland to the west comprises the gardens of Fulham Palace. It is the historic place of the Bishops of London.
This Bridge is often very busy on Saturdays. When Fulham F.C. is playing at their home ground as it is the main route for fans to cross the river. The Bridge includes one bus lane and one cycle lane. With the inclusion bus stop on the northbound.
Address: River Thames